Issendai's Reviews > Don't Look Down

Feb 16, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The story started fast in typical Crusie style, with a huge cast with complicated interrelationships all shoved onto the stage at once. Once I got my bearings I found the book hard to put down. The characters were sharply drawn and entertaining, if often a little two-dimensional, and it was fun to watch the male and female leads bounce off one another, with their very different perceptions of the same events. The military viewpoint was also a good addition to the romance-novel mix.

But despite being a fun read, it wasn't a convincing romance. The attraction between the leads was believable as lust-and-liking, but I wasn't seeing the Twoo Wuv Forever that the characters themselves kept talking about. Nor did the heroine's willingness to drop the life she loved in New York to move to Georgia seem believable. Sure, she had two reasons to move, her new boyfriend and her screwed-up sister... but that doesn't make it any less of a "woman drops everything to be with her man" trope.

In short: Fun read, left an off taste in my mouth.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Look Down.