Brenna's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Dec 16, 12

bookshelves: fave-series-book-1
Recommended to Brenna by: AJ & Megan :)
Read from December 02 to 16, 2012

Ohhh man! This book was so much more than I expected! I knew I'd like it because some pretty awesome people recommended it to me ;) but I wasn't expecting it to grab my attention the way it did! It is very different than other vampire stories I've read, the vampires are even unique, not all the same cliches we've all heard a thousand times over.

Vampire Academy is first and foremost a story about the friendship of Rose & Lissa. The "best-friends dream team" :) Rose is a Dhampir - half vampire/half human - and her #1 priority is being a guard to keep Lissa safe from Stigoi, the immortal "bad" vampires. She is a total badass. Tough, stubborn, strong, fiercly loyal, beautiful, impulsive, and snarky. I pretty much think she's the shit :) Lissa is a vampire - a Moroi - which is the "good" kind of vampire, and she is a royal. Lissa is the more even keeled one of the the two, softer, sweeter, and she struggles with some emotional issues and demons. I don't love Lissa yet, but I'm hoping she'll grow on me.

Rose & Lissa have a very unique connection, more than just a great friendship. (view spoiler) Their connection adds so much to the story and really allows you to see the story in more than just Rose's POV, which I think was a really clever idea.

The story is about Rose & Lissa navigating their first few months being back at the Academy after 2 years away. They face many obstacles and have to deal with the dreaded high school drama and how to fit in. Although there is the high school type element, it felt like more than that to me. Of course there were the petty rumors and gossip, but the issues were always bigger than that. The entire book, you are wondering why Lissa & Rose left the academy in the first place, so the suspense and build up was fun too! (view spoiler)

Besides Rose & Lissa, there are some awesome other characters! Dimitri, who trains with Rose to get her caught up on her guardian skills. He is really super swoon worthy! Him and Rose have an attraction to eachother, but there is also the forbidden love type issue there. I love them and I can't wait for more of them, seperately & together (hopefully!). (view spoiler)

"And sometimes, if I was really, really lucky, he'd smile at me. A real smile, too- not the dry one that accompanied the sarcasm we tossed around so often. I didn't want to admit it to anyone - not to Lissa, not even to myself- but some days, I lived for those smiles."

"You are so beautiful, it hurts me sometimes."

(view spoiler)

And there's Christian! He's an outcast and a total smart ass! And I just freaking love him! Him & Rose crack me up when they are around each other!

"If you weren't so psychotic, you'd be fun to hand out around." "Funny, I feel that way about you too."

There's a lot of foreshadowing in this book and setting up the plot for future books in the series. Atleast that's what I think :) I can't wait to read the rest, I'm planning a full on VA marathon next month! Woot woot! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Brenna Liked

Richelle Mead
“A ghostly smile flickered across his face. "If you weren't so psychotic, you'd be fun to hang around."
"Funny, I feel that way about you too." He didn't say anything else, but the smile grew, and he walked away.”

Richelle Mead
“I find more peace with you.”

Richelle Mead
“If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.”

Richelle Mead
“Rose: "Wow. You beat up your dad. I mean, that's really horrible... what happened. But, wow. You really are a god."...
Dimitri: "What?"
Rose: "Uh, nothing.”
Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

12/02/2012 "After much indecisiveness, I'm officially starting this tonight! :)" 8 comments
12/03/2012
7.0% "Wow, I can already see why people compare this & the Covenant series." 5 comments
12/03/2012
13.0% "If I wasn't told otherwise, I would swear that Rose was a guy..." 5 comments
12/03/2012
27.0% "Putting this on hold to catch on on the Lux series since Opal got released early!!!!"
12/13/2012
27.0% "Can't wait to get back to this tonight! :D"
12/14/2012
35.0% "Christian is so intriguing, I'm curious about him..."
12/14/2012
43.0% "Oh no she didn't! Damn, the queen knows how to deliver an insult!" 2 comments
56.0% "Dimitri is starting to make me swoon! I like :)" 5 comments
12/14/2012
67.0% "I love that Christian can put Rose in her place when she needs it!" 10 comments
12/15/2012
75.0% " What's this for? For my first day?" "No," he said simply. "Because I thought it would make you happy."

Oh here it is, I can feel it. I'm falling for Dimitri!" 3 comments
12/15/2012
85.0% "Yay! Yay! Yay! :D"
12/15/2012
93.0% "It was like watching a Disney movie. LOL!"
100.0% "Done! Review to come after I get some sleep! :)" 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Woot woot!!!

Brenna :) The ebooks are kinda expensive. I might opt for the paperback in these...

message 3: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Brenna wrote: ":) The ebooks are kinda expensive. I might opt for the paperback in these..."

This is happening quite often lately. It is ridiculous that some ebooks are even more expensive than paperbacks

message 4: by AJ (last edited Nov 27, 2012 01:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I have them in paperback. They were cheaper for me to buy them in the store. And they look so pretty all nice and matching on my bookshelf too (I'm a bit OCD with my bokshelves!).

But yeah, I completely agree, there is no justification for ebooks to cost more than paperbacks! Ridiculous!

Brenna Lucia wrote: "Brenna wrote: ":) The ebooks are kinda expensive. I might opt for the paperback in these..."

Plus I'm so used to buying indie books that when I go to buy a traditional pubbed one, its almost a shock to see the price! I don't like it...

Brenna AJ wrote: "I have them in paperback. They were cheaper for me to buy them in the store. And they look so pretty all nice and matching on my bookshelf too (I'm a bit OCD with my bokshelves!)."

message 7: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Brenna wrote: "I'm the same way! Lol I always end up buying my favorites in paperback too, so if the price is similar I might as well just start with the paperback :) I'll probably get the first this weekend :) "

I'm exactly the same :) Enjoy these, they're totally worth the extra expense!

message 8: by Dd (new) - rated it 1 star

Dd Great review,Brenna!!:))

message 9: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Woohoo!! Great review! So glad you're hooked! And I absolutely agree with you - Rose is the shit, Christian is awesome and Dimitri is just.... SWOOOON!!!!! Looking forward to watching you continue on with the series and all of the awesome to come :)

Brenna Dd wrote: "Great review,Brenna!!:))"

Thanks Dd! :)

Brenna AJ wrote: "Woohoo!! Great review! So glad you're hooked! And I absolutely agree with you - Rose is the shit, Christian is awesome and Dimitri is just.... SWOOOON!!!!! Looking forward to watching you conti..."

message 12: by Richa (new)

Richa Great review, Brenna!! :)) Hope you'll enjoy the marathon as much as you enjoyed this!! ;)

message 13: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Brenna wrote: "Haha... yup, that pretty much sums it up right there, right?! ;) I'm really excited! I better get the rest for Christmas! I need them on my shelf! :D "

If you don't, after Christmas sales is the perfect time to go and spoil yourself :)

Brenna Richa wrote: "Great review, Brenna!! :)) Hope you'll enjoy the marathon as much as you enjoyed this!! ;)"

I hope so, I think I will, I hear they just get better & better! Thanks, Richa! :)

Brenna AJ wrote: "Brenna wrote: "Haha... yup, that pretty much sums it up right there, right?! ;) I'm really excited! I better get the rest for Christmas! I need them on my shelf! :D "

If you don't, after Christmas..."

Very true! There's a 1/2 price book store near my work and they only take books in excellent condition. I might pop in there tomorrow before work and see if I can get lucky!

message 16: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Nice plan!

message 17: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Great review, Brenna! I've been wanting to read this series for so long...Hope I'll find the time soon... Enjoy the marathon!;)

message 18: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Levine Lovely review, Brenna! Can't wait to read it myself :)

Brenna Yes! Debra & Jenny you both need to read it! I'm really looking forward to reading the whole series! Thanks ladies! :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Cheer! Another person to help push the awesomeness that is this series.

Brenna Oh yeah! I'm definitely a fan of this awesomeness :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) It only gets crazier and crazier. Especially by the end of book 3, you'll need book 4 handy because you will want to know what happens next.

Brenna That's what I hear! I have book 2 already, but I want them all in paperback so I decided to wait until I have them all so I can marathon it! ;)