Mike's Reviews > Another Life

Another Life by Andrew Vachss

Feb 18, 2009

Read in February, 2009

Andrew Vachss got back on that horse. He’s been writing books about a criminal named Burke and has underworld family for 24 years and 18 novels. “Another Life” is to be the last one. The prospect of this being his last book worried me as I’m a huge fan of this series. But it didn’t worry me because the series would end…that saddened me. It worried me because the novel before this, “Terminal” was kind of disappointing and I was wondering if maybe this series is ending 2 novels too late. It turns out my worries were for nothing.
“Another Life” goes back to the gritty, grimy New York that made the previous novels so real. When you’re done reading a Vachss book it feels like you just finished chewing on dirt. You walk with Burke through the dirty alleys in Chinatown and the tree-lined streets of Queens. There’s no question of the menace of Max the Silent or the wisdom of the Prof. Vachss makes sure you can feel the bonds between this family of criminals, schemers and ne’er-do-wells.
The undercurrent of all of the Burke novels is his hatred for anyone that would harm a child. As you read his books you can smell the hate he has for these people like a gas leak. It’s right there through every word lingering waiting to show you just how toxic it can be.
If you like filthy, gritty, nourish kind of stories with characters that seem as real as people sitting next to you on the train than start with “Flood” and work your way through the 16 other novels until you get to “Another Life”. You won’t be disappointed. I’ll gladly lend them out 2 at a time. One is never enough. Unfortunately this time it’ll have to be for me. So long Burke.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Life.