Desiree's Reviews > She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana

She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel

1212011
Feb 15, 09

A follow-up memoir to one of my top 10 favorite books ever. We start up where we left off with Zip, a little older but still fairly enveloped in the warm nostalgic embrace of childhood. But in this book, its less romantic remembrances of family and more the strange and terrifying truths that start to emerge when one is forced as we all are, to grow up. The momentous occansion that inspired the book...the impulse that drove Zip's mother after years of hiding, to literally GET UP OFF THE COUCH...is the equivalent of an earthquake and the stories of the book and Zip's journey from that point are documentation of the aftershocks, some which changed things for the better, but others doing irrepairable damage to structures that had stood strong and immovable, the framework of her childhood. A great read, truthful and honest, bittersweet in some places, gasping for air hilarity in others.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Got Up Off the Couch.