Luke Burrage's Reviews > The Rise of Siri

The Rise of Siri by Shlok Vaidya

Dec 18, 12

bookshelves: ebook, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
Read on November 26, 2012

Full review on my podcast (when I get round to recording it): SFBRP #175.

Short version: fun to read a story written so recently that I can date it by remembering back four weeks to one news item (Apple board members being sacked, mentioned in the book) and remembering back a three weeks to another news item (Petraeus mentioned as Vice president in ten years, now less likely after recent scandals).

I love the idea of fiction being this up to date. I wrote a novella in four day and released on my website the last evening, had readers check it over and report spelling and grammar errors, and it was fixed on the fifth day. Of course, that story wasn't topical at all, so didn't benefit from such a quick turn around. But Rise of Siri works great for that. I want more super up-to-date fiction like this.

Or, to be honest, fiction like this but with better characters. I liked the news story-like reporting and the fun technology, but I didn't care at all about the characters as they were either real people (Apple execs) who I don't know well enough to bring my own emotions to, or not-real people who are, unfortunately, not invested with any personality at all. It's not that kind of book, I know, but that makes it not so enjoyable for me.

I read it in under two hours, which is the perfect length for experimental fiction like this.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Siri.

message 1: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Kona I really kind of hated this story. It read like Apple fan fiction - Apple executives are wise and quick witted, while Samsung executives (or pretty much anybody else) are not only morally bankrupt, but stupid, fat, ugly, and (literally) their mothers dress them funny. I prefer my villains with a little more depth.

Of course, every problem I had with the story was something you mentioned in your review. I suppose I was just less tolerant of these issues.

Luke Burrage Jesse wrote: "I really kind of hated this story. It read like Apple fan fiction - Apple executives are wise and quick witted, while Samsung executives (or pretty much anybody else) are not only morally bankrupt,..."

Yeah, I kinda expected that when going in. I can excuse that in such a very short story. It is using shortcuts at every opportunity in terms of characters to spend more time on tech and concepts.