Sara's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Feb 26, 09

bookshelves: fiction, audiobooks, book-club
Read in February, 2009

Great story, lovable characters (especially Isola) and very well told. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the concept of a book told exclusively through letters, but it very well and creatively done.

The arrangement allowed us to meet each character through their own words and hear each voice distinctly. For instance, I disliked Markham V. Reynolds instantly, all from his brief but demanding correspondence.

Taking place on the Channel Isle of Guernsey just after the Occupation, the story provides glimpses into what occupation in an already isolated landscape meant. This gives book a fascinating piece of history to work with as well as the thoroughly enjoyable characters.

Very pleasant listening experience, extremely well-suited to audio. The added bonus of audio for this book is hearing the differences between Juliet and Sidney's London accents compared with the island flavor in Dawsey and Isola's speech. Plus, you learn how to pronounce the names, although not spell them, which is why I had to look up how to spell "Isola."

Lovely overall.