Deborah's Reviews > The Complete Persepolis

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

May 18, 09

Read in May, 2009

I actually first found out about this book when I saw that was being made into a movie. I decided that I wanted to read the graphic novel first before seeing the movie. I've been a fan of graphic novels ever since I first read Maus many years ago, and this one is right up there with that other classic. I have to admit, I haven't read that many other graphic novels, but this is a good one. I love the main character - especially as a little girl - as she tries to navigate her ever changing world. I couldn't imagine growing up in Iran when she did - but she does such a great job describing her world, that it seems with her help I can actually imagine it. Also, I am not one who knows a whole lot about the Middle East/Iran/Iraq and the history of that region and how it ties in to today's events. However by reading this book, I have learned a lot about the history of Iran and what happened. This is excellent and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Persepolis.