Susan's Reviews > A Crack in the Line

bookshelves: youngadult, 2010read
Recommended to Susan by: Helen
Recommended for: fans of fantasy/sci-fi YA, "what if" stories
Read from September 07 to 08, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The concept is so interesting and complex that I think it would only succeed in a master's hands. This book isn't quite there yet. When you begin to delve deeper into an idea like alternate realities and then go as far as to transport and throw characters into other parallel realities, some magic has to be involved. There are plot holes you can't quite explain away with hard facts or common sense. The reader has to be willing to suspend their disbelief and trust the rules of the world that the writer presents. Sometimes I was willing to do that, other times I felt a disconnect from the story, very aware that I was reading fiction. The "alternate ending" chapter at the end was a bit strange in the way it was presented.

In general I felt the execution could be better, but I loved the British dialogue; I thought that was captured nicely. I hated how the two protagonists had unusual, fantasy-like names: Alaric and Naia, especially when adults had very dull, common names. I think I would've been more accepting if I didn't feel like I was in a fantasy world. There were some truly heartbreaking and touching moments between Alaric and Naia's mother though. Their scenes were my favorite part of the whole thing. I liked how Lawrence was attempting to show just how much of an impact every little thing that happens could potentially have on your life.

Grade: B-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crack in the Line.