Tricia's Reviews > Cook with Jamie

Cook with Jamie by Jamie Oliver

Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: own, food, 11-01-jan
Read from January 14 to 23, 2011

Unusually for a cookbook, I sat and read this from one end to the other. I looked it over for a few days, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

I requested this book because it said it would help me to be a better cook, and believe me, I need help. But this wasn't really how the book read. It seemed to be for people who know the basics but need some help with maybe adding in different dishes or flavours to their repetoire. Not for someone who can baely boil an egg or roast a chicken. With recipes that encourage you to go organic and free-range (noble pursuits, I admit), there is no easy explanation of doing some of the cooking complications. Very often the reader is reprimanded not to let something overcook, but we aren't given clear instructions on how to tell when it's done.

I also find it a bit ridiculous that there were more meringue recipes in the book than chicken recipes. And that the vegetable section was full of one to three recipes on each of the 10 most popular British veggies, but that these tended to be quite same-y and boring - right after we are told that vegetables don't have to be boring. I think the squash section was the most useful of these not particularly useful sections.

Overall, I'm not impressed, and I don't know if this book will even stay on my shelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cook with Jamie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher I see your point about Jamie's books, he talks to the reader on the assumption that they are proficient cooks, there seems to be steps missing in his recipes.....I recommend if I may that you try one of Rachel Allen's books, if you are really starting from scratch and need good guidance for example on how you know when something is cooked or how long should a steak be on the pan for med, rare etc. If these are some of your questions then I definitely recommendat her books. She taught me how to cook, and cook well, I love to cook now and always use good flavours that result in a simple and relatively stress free dinner/dessert/cake/starter etc.