BJ Rose's Reviews > Your Scandalous Ways

2030200
Mar 07, 2009

bookshelves: a-regency, historical-suspense
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I liked this a lot more than I thought I would when I first discovered she was a courtesan and proud of it. As the story evolves, you realize that Francesca had few options open to her after her husband divorced her and ruined her in society. Her only choice was to flee England, but there were several things about her that didn't sit right with me. First, she had an affair while married - out of revenge for her husband's mistresses. When she decided to become a courtesan, she made sure it was very public so she could gloat to her husband, in weekly letters, about her high-placed protectors. She was treated very badly by her husband and by English society, and her choice of profession was not completely unreasonable given her circumstances, but she did it mainly for revenge - a 5-year vendetta was enough for me to take away a star from a well-told tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Scandalous Ways.

03/05/2009 page 104
29.13% "I don't like the heroine of this book, so why am I still reading it? Hoping..."
03/05/2009 page 164
45.94% "Heroine's father & husband caused her great grief in her past, so that explains her seeking a new life, but she's still not very likeable"
show 2 hidden updates…