Justin's Reviews > Wonder Boys

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon

Feb 14, 09

bookshelves: 10-best-books-read-in-2009
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This may have been the first time I've ever read a book after seeing the movie adaptation, and I can't help but think it affected my experience somewhat.

Although I only vaguely remember the movie, I could recollect how some scenes would play out before I read through them, and through the course of the book, I pictured Grady Tripp as a disheveled Michael Douglas, James Leer as Tobey McGuire and Hannah Green as Katie Holmes. I couldn't remember who played the other characters, so Crabtree, Sara and others were my own creations (I've now seen they were played by Robert Downey, Jr and Frances McDormand - in my mental version, Crabtree was much less attractive).

All that being said, for the most part it seemed fresh to me. Though I'm no writer, it was easy to relate to Tripp as a man who is resitant to fully confront his own shortcomings. By the end, he finally gives up his main tormenters - his marijuana habit and the 2000-plus page manuscript of Wonder Boys - and decides to be a husband to Sara and a father to the child.

Whether it was intentional or not, I found it interesting that Chabon's conclusion, like the conclusion Tripp was trying so desperately to conjure for his manuscript, seemed a little too neat and rushed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Boys.