Heather's Reviews > How We Decide

2032228
Feb 26, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, favorites
Read in February, 2009

As I am not a scientist like some other reviewers, I found this book to be quite enlightening. It was well-written and entertaining, as well.

Things I learned:

People need to use both rational thought and emotion to make the best decisions.

We get cranky when we're hungry and tired because the prefrontal cortex is the first to lose energy and consequently the ability to suppress negative emotions. Teenagers are more impulsive because the prefrontal cortex is also the last part of the brain to develop, and ADHD happens when kids' brains are slow to develop.

Abuse is repeated among generations because abused children's brains are permanently damaged/fail to create the appropriate connections and never mature morally.

Rationality can be a liability when it leads to rationalization. Embrace uncertainty: entertain competing hypotheses and remind yourself of what you don't know.

Difficult decisions (those with numerous factors involved) are best made by taking in all the facts, sleeping on it, and ultimately relying on your feelings. "Even when you choose to ignore your emotions, they are still a valuable source of input."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Decide.

02/24/2009 page 200

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John how about we take positive and negative view and combine it or improve it..
actually,I not yet read this book already.

message 2: by SHON (new) - added it

SHON Liked this....

//We need to make our own mistakes because that is how our brains get rewired not to do it again. Emotions turn mistakes into educational events and then use those lessons unconsciously.//