Shirley Brosius's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Nov 25, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in November, 2012

We do many things throughout our days based on habit: brush our teeth, eat certain cereals, follow certain routines. Some habits are good. Some we may want to change. The latter are what this book is about.

Author Charles Duhigg breaks our habits into three parts: cue, response and reward. In order to change a habit, we must intervene at one or more of these points. But there’s more to it than that. To change, you must believe it’s possible.

Duhigg includes fascinating stories of corporations and how small changes in habits led to huge success. These keystone habits, as he calls them, help develop cultures in which employees support one another, which is always helpful.

One chapter explains how stores can develop advertising campaigns that will appeal to you based on your past purchasing habits. There’s also a chapter asking whether we are responsible for problems and even crimes triggered by habits, such as man who murdered his wife during his habit of sleepwalking.

The appendix titled “A Reader’s Guide to Using These Ideas” will help you move down the road to evaluating and possibly improving personal habits. More than 50 pages of end notes and a detailed index complete the book. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life and Business is a fun read and just may hold a few keys to success in our self-improvement projects.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.