Red's Reviews > Dog on It

Dog on It by Spencer Quinn

Feb 18, 09

bookshelves: kindle-books, animal, mystery, read-in-2009
Read in February, 2009

What a great read! The mystery is told from the POV of the dog, Chet. If Chet doesn't see/hear/smell it neither do we. And Chet gets distracted easily. Saves us from a lot of unnecessary tedious details. The story is written with great flair, humor and style. I'm really enjoying this book, and will be sure to read the next one when it comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dog on It.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimz (new)

Kimz Zahour cute

message 2: by Red (new) - rated it 4 stars

Red Kimz wrote: "cute"

Now, if I could only figure out what kind of dog Chet is. I started out with a mental terrier of some kind, about knee high, but then Chet mentioned he weighed 100 lbs so I had to up the size. He's a mixed breed, with 2 different colored fold-over ears. So I'm now thinking a shepherd/terrier mix of some sort. (Can you tell I've been watching the dog shows on Animal Planet?)

message 3: by Kimz (new)

Kimz Zahour LOL... you're so funny... ya know if they are going to put descriptive things like that in a book, I prefer the author gets 'em in there early before that mental picture starts forming... sometimes it hardly matters though... they'll say early a character is blonde (or something) but seems brunette to me and I can't picture it any other way. :P

message 4: by Kimz (new)

Kimz Zahour How about a Chinook... he looks smart enough to be a good detective

message 5: by Red (new) - rated it 4 stars

Red Kimz wrote: "How about a Chinook... he looks smart enough to be a good detective"

Definitely looks smart enough and is the right size. Never heard of this breed, but this is how Chet will probably look to me in the future.

message 6: by Red (new) - rated it 4 stars

Red Okay, just took another look at the cover. If we are to believe the cover illo, Chet's ear's stand straight up, and in fact he looks very german shepherdy from that silhouette.

message 7: by Kimz (new)

Kimz Zahour I'll be darned... they DO stand up on the cover!

Cathy I've been assuming he's a German Shepard mix because he went to police school, plus the ears on the cover. But the black and white, plus the tail on the back cover, make me think the mix might include Australian Shepard. 2 very smart and active breeds. I wonder if we'll ever know?

message 9: by Red (new) - rated it 4 stars

Red Catherine wrote: "I wonder if we'll ever know?"

I'll bet we never do find out Chet's breed(s), this way,people can imagine their own dog if they choose.

Cathy All I know for sure is that he isn't a greyhound. My guys are much too lazy to be investigators :)

message 11: by Red (new) - rated it 4 stars

Red Catherine wrote: "All I know for sure is that he isn't a greyhound. My guys are much too lazy to be investigators :)"

Ditto for pugs (too small, but certainly gutsy enough) and corgis (again, too small, but gutsy & good natured).