Kate's Reviews > Home

Home by Marilynne Robinson

Mar 05, 09

bookshelves: fiction

Today I finished listening to this novel on my ipod as I walked the neighborhood with my dog. What a journey. There were times I thought this book was 2 stars, 4 stars, 10 stars, 3 stars...but I just had to give it the full count in the final analysis because I think Robinson is an incredible writer. She can get into the nuances of feeling and human perspective in ways that are so rich and real you just can't believe words are capable of so much.

It's a very slow-moving novel, even for someone like me who tends to like all things geological. Also, it has a lot about Christianity in it but her explorations of it are complicated enough to not bore (for the most part) even committed agnostics like me.

Her explorations of adult relationships with an aging, dying parent at times took my breath away. And the relationship between the siblings Glory and Jack was so richly wrought that I feel, upon finshing the book, that I know them. Jack reminded me so much of a cousin of mine: a charming, charismatic, broken alcoholic. And Robinson never once used those words ... he just came alive on the page (or, in my case, in the ipod).

I'm not sure I would have stayed with the novel if I'd tried to read it rather than being able to ride the tide of listening to it. It was like listening to radio play, in a way. It took me a little while to get used to the narrator's voice, but now the voice still haunts me and is indelibly intertwined with my experience of the novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate As I walk I laugh and cry...Just loving this book so far.

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I really want to read this one....glad to hear you love it!