Sam's Reviews > Off the Map

Off the Map by Hib Chickena

Feb 14, 09

ughhhhh. "Hib Chickena" about sums it up.
I have to admit, though, at one point in my life I did want to go to New York and live in Leftover Crack's squat. But I don't think this book had anything to do with that. It might have been a residual effect of growing up in Mequon, like most of my problems.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off the Map.

message 1: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Feb 14, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio "ughhhhh. "Hib Chickena" about sums it up."

Hahaha! Indeed. I wonder how many people shoplift CrimethInc books? People that misspell the word "think" for any reason whatsoever should take a long walk off of a short dock.

I've been in arguments with so many self-proclaimed anarchists of all stripes who keep telling me that I "just don't get it, man." Every single thing I see is at root no more intellectually justifiable to me than some doucheburst naming themselves Hib Chickena and distributing zines through classically capitalistic means.

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Many people do. In fact we have to lock up all of the Crimethinc books at work because of this. More commonly stolen books;

Lolita by Nabokov

any Bukowski

Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman

Tattoo books and Marijuana books

erotic "art" books

message 3: by Jimmy (last edited Feb 14, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Jimmy Fucking Nikki McClure too. I'm REALLY tired of her and her "indieness".

"I should punch you in the face."

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio "I'll fight you right now, Baby Jesus, you know I will!"

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy I still find Debord and the Situationists historically interesting though. But yeah, Anarchism, Bah!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I'm looking forward to getting a better grip on Keynesian economics and the economic theory of Mises. I tend to think that serious economic theory is usually very dry. Tends to be absent of fashionably rebellious trash eating, and wiring your parents for money from Europe in between more fashionable theft and trash eating. The contradictions! The contradictions!

message 7: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Yeah, I've been interested in Keynes as well. Economic theory is dry though.

Even serious academic, leftist studies falls into constant contradictions. Unless it's clever enough to not take itself too seriously. I would like to read Lukacs, but I'm almost certain that it would just depress me, and basically feel like a waste of reading time.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Agreed. I'm pretty center-left on most issues of government/private sector issues. I think there are sensible solutions. Both those who view free market economics as The Great Satan and those who think the free market is this magical deity that should be utterly without regulation are fools of the highest order in my opinion.

message 9: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Feb 14, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio In other words capitalism is just a theory of money, not the Savior or Destroyer of all things good. It has to be handled properly with intelligent regulation and a political structure that upholds classically liberal democratic values, in my humble opinion.

message 10: by Jimmy (last edited Feb 14, 2009 12:49PM) (new)

Jimmy Yeah, it's like the ole' man, William Gaddis once said.

"In JR I wasn't trying to say that late capitalism is this horrible monster. I was merely trying to reveal the abuses of this system."

Like any other system it can be severely abused. It's just like network television. You can't say that television networks are wholly at fault. They're just "givin the peeps" what they want.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I think corporatism is the main problem really. The first step in the right direction is to remove the legal status of a business as a person. I think that the documentary "The Corporation" does a good cursory critique of this problem.

message 12: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Yeah, I need to see that.

message 13: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Feb 14, 2009 12:59PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I also think that several western European nations have models we should be following as well. Removing certain services and institutions from the fluctuations of the market is a good thing both for societal health on the whole and for the long term profits of businesses. It's the state of privatized health care in this country is's easy for me talk about what should be done in such general terms, but coming up with specific solutions though, that's a bit more difficult. I don't pretend to have them either, but I know they're not rooted in dumpster diving.

message 14: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Jimmy wrote: "I still find Debord and the Situationists historically interesting though. But yeah, Anarchism, Bah!"

I love the Situationists! You should read Rene Vienet's book on them.
It's so annoying how all the local anarchists try to equate themselves with the Situationists, who were infinitely more creative and interesting than anything people would come up with today. I don't really think they meant for people to just imitate what they did.

message 15: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Have you read Debord's short autobiography entitled Panegyric? What is the title of Vienet's book?

message 16: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Feb 14, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Jimmy wrote: "Yeah, I need to see that."

It's easy to find online, it's even on YouTube in its entirety (broken up into dozens of separate videos, but in chronological order), but it's also an incredibly easy DVD to find as well, as I'm sure you probably already know. It's a bit heavy-handed at certain points, but on the whole I really liked it a lot and learned a lot of valuable things. I actually liked it enough to have watched it many times over the years. At first I was really smitten, so I went back to watch it with a more critical eye to make sure I wasn't just being swayed emotionally.

message 17: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy You know Debord was a filmmaker as well. He made a film version of Society of the Spectacle. It's not great, but it conveys the same message, and has this hypnotic quality to it.

message 18: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Yeah, there was a Situationist film festival at my school a few years ago and I saw it. It was really interesting visually. Boring isn't the right word, but I remember feeling really tired afterward...