Jamila's Reviews > Private

Private by Kate Brian

Feb 20, 09

bookshelves: teens, bullying-gossip, friendship, high-school
Read in February, 2009

Reading this book was mild torture.

The protagonist Reed Brennan is extremely flawed and one-dimensional. She truly has no redeeming qualities, interests or goals. Readers learn that she hates her home life and that she wants to become a Billings Girl, an elite group of 3rd and 4th year students who live in a special dorm. Her obsession with them is trite and poorly written. I kept waiting for her to grow a spine or to evolve even slightly. Apparently, this happens in book two, three, or four in the series. I am not sure.

This novel could have been as entertaining as certain films that feature teen cliques and/or high society teens. But, "Private" lacks the humor of "Mean Girls," the darkness of "Heathers," the steamy drama of "Cruel Intentions," and the fun of "Clueless." Kate Brian failed to use her imagination. I was bored.
34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private.

message 1: by elissa (new)

elissa Too bad it's so boring. Could you see the teen appeal, or was even that non-evident? I can't get through the 1st GOSSIP GIRL, but I can definitely see why teens like it.

Jamila Terrible thing is that I do see the teen appeal in "Private," and that is was it so unfortunate. I read the 2nd Gossip Girl novel, "You Know You Love Me."

In that novel the writing was slightly more engaging and the characters had more interest than in "Private." However, the female protagonists in Gossip Girl #2 obsess over brand names, even while obsessing about high SAT scores and getting into an Ivy.

I appreciated references to classic lit., trips to the Met, and a short film contest that the characters experienced. Those elements added more to the gossiping, sex, and high society ignorance that plague the series.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

maybe if you'd give the book more of a chance... try reading the second and third.. it get's better, trust me... :)

Anastasia mild torture? I think you're being way too nice. It was horrendous

Coral Campbell You really can't base the first book on the whole series. Looking back, she was and it was almost everything you said, but what I think Kate tries to do is show a developing character over the course of the books. The plot thickens incredible, secrets are revealed, questions are answered and Reed gains some major character.

Crystal Thomas I give this rating 5/5. I'm returning the books to the store.

Jasmine cool story ^