Jennifer's Reviews > Carrie

Carrie by Stephen King

Feb 14, 09

bookshelves: i_saw_the_movie, horror, stephen-king, insane_in_the_membrane
read count: 1

I think part of what makes this book so amazing is that even though it is a horror book - it stems from something very basic and very real to so many people. The need to be loved. The need for acceptance. The need to be nurtured by a parent. Sadly - as is so often the case in real life as well - these things are held out of reach for Carrie. Her mother is crazy. The kids at school are HORRIBLE. She has no friends - no life. She is isolated and miserable. She is an outsider who can see that people have loving families and homes and friends but is trapped in a parody of that existence and it is seemingly untouchable.

So really the cruelest thing you could do is to offer her a chance at this world and then snatch it away from her. Offer her hope and then throw it on the rocks. Just the concept itself is crushing - the actualization of it for Carrie was horrific. And all the more so because we KNOW how cruel kids in school are. We know they could erupt into a chorus of Kill the Pig! Bash him in at any moment. (Was this book a retelling of Lord of the Flies in a way? hmmmmm. Something to ponder.) So like any masterfully told campfire story - this book is so frightening because it is such a small degree off of what is reality and has a touch of supernatural. It's really genius when you think about it.
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah do you recomend it to a 12-13 year old or do you think it is a little bit mature?

Jennifer I personally would not give it to a tweenager to read but I really think it depends on the maturity of the 12-13 year old. If they are prone toward nightmares - maybe not. If they read other scary books or movies and it doesn't bother them - then I think it will be fine. I think the movie is worse than the book.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah that really helps thankyou

message 4: by Raziel (new) - added it

Raziel Very beautifuly put. Love the way you described it. :D I'm denitely reading the book now. :) Can't wait.

Jennifer Thanks Raziel. :) I have to say the book really spoke to my inner picked-on braces wearing teen-aged self. ;) I hope you like it!

message 6: by Jaide (new)

Jaide is the story told from her point of view?

Jennifer So sorry but I can't remember anymore. Here is a link to Wikipedia if you want to look through that for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(...

message 8: by Annie (new) - added it