Sandy's Reviews > The Trees

U 50x66
Feb 13, 09

bookshelves: early-america
Read in January, 1991

This is a really old book. It was written long before the 80's, which I think is the earliest edition this system showed me. I borrowed the hard cover from my aunt who had gotten it as part of the enormous collection of books which had come with her really old cottage in Gay Head. The book was already ancient when she bought the house, the woman who had previously owned the house having had it since early in the century when her family lived in it, the house, that is. Dorothy, I think she was called, was a terrific character.... a really unique lady, a journalist for local and Florida papers, single, cared for parents and a disabled sister, left her nominal estate to her rector and his wife, who gave much of it to the historical society. Anyway, I digress... She was a great and interesting woman with a wonderful collection of books she left behind when she died and her heirs left behind when they sold... Incredible book.... Absolutely beautiful and richly told. One of the best books I have ever read..... all those years of reading the Little House books as a child... evolving into a more mature realistic image of pioneering in the huge endless forests of the midwest decades before the Ingalls family made their home there. I remember Suli and her sister and brother and the parent (father?) who just up and went away and how one day Suli, just a little girl, just didn't come home from her day in the woods and how the other siblings just knew that she was gone for good and that was that, that was the reality of life, no point in wishing it otherwise.

I remember the images of the trees, endless, endless, endless.... what unimaginable beauty and darkness and quiet and isolation.... Incredible book. Just incredible.

Maybe I'll go find a copy of it and read it again.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trees.

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Oh Sandy, this sounds wonderful. I love pioneer books! I'm going to do my darndest to get a hold of a copy.

Sandy Lee, Check out all the books by Conrad Richter. He seems to have written a whole bunch about the pioneer era and they look fasscinating. I hope to get around to reading a couple of them.... if only my pile of 'to read's wasn't so big, I might actually get to them!

Ciao!

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Guess what? I actually found an old volume with the first three books, starting with 'The Trees' at the library on the weekend. I was so happy!

Sandy Oh Great, Lee! That sounds so terrific! The other day I put the other books in the series on my to-read list. I'll get to them eventually! Hope you enjoy which everone(s) you get to! S

message 5: by Howard (new)

Howard All written-on-the-school-bus book reports should be this informative.

Laura I found spotted an old copy at my library and something made me pick it up. I was drawn in from the first page. After finishing it, I immediately read The Fields and then The Town. These books will stay with me always. Note: Look for older copies published by Albert & Knopf (sp?) Newer copies have been shamefully edited and shortened ("dumbed down.")

Sandy Laura, thanks for your remark about the newer editions of these beautiful old books. What crimes we commit by 'dumbing down' such treasures. I have yet to get to other Richter books but 'The Fields' is on my list. When I get to it, I'll be sure to seek out an A&K copy. Thanks for your feedback. 'The Trees' was incredible, wasn't it. And yes, the book 'will stay with me always'... me too. I trust his others will too.