Becca's Reviews > The Princess Bride

1983148
Feb 13, 09

bookshelves: adventure, read_2007, fantasy
Read in February, 2007

This one was kind of a let-down. First of all, the story-outside-the-story wasn't as good as the one with Columbo and Fred Savage in the movie. That may seem like a minor detail if you've only seen the movie, but the story-outside-the-story takes up a lot more time in the novel. Secondly, and I'm wary of listing this as a fault, the movie, as it turns out, is a pretty literal adaptation of the novel (there are pages of dialog that are lifted word-for-word, guess that's what you get when the author does the screenplay). Generally, I like it when movies don't veer from the novel, but when you see the movie first, it tends to ruin the book (I say this and I'm someone who often reads the end of a novel first!). The characters that Mandy Patinkin, Christopher Guest, and Wallace Shawn bring to life on the big screen don't work as well on the page.

I'm not sure if I'd feel differently if I'd first read the book then saw the movie. My recommendation: skip the novel. The movie is a classic, and it's all you need to enjoy this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Bride.