Siria's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Jun 18, 09

bookshelves: 21st-century, afghani-fiction, american-fiction, by-poc
Read in February, 2009

It's been a while since I've read a book which manages to so effortlessly plumb the depths of clumsy banality while simultaneously being almost offensively manipulative. It's armchair cultural tourism, seemingly determined to pack in as many cliches as possible in the space of four hundred pages. The plot strains credulity, the characterisation is weak, and the dialogue is almost laughably bad at points. I'm at a loss as to why not one editor ever pointed out to Hosseini that no one, in the history of ever, has uttered a sentence, or one word in a sentence, in Farsi, which they then immediately translate for the benefit of the reader. That's not how people speak!

The dialogue would have been the most hilariously awful part of The Kite Runner, were it not for Hosseini's cartoonish Taliban, represented by a blonde, half-German half-Afghani, Hitler-enthusiast paedophile sociopath who wishes to rid Afghanistan of non-Pashtuns, but who has never heard of the phrase 'ethnic cleansing.' No. No, seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

02/13/2009 page 100
26.95% 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trin (new)

Trin Well, that basically confirms what my mom said. (Specifically, "That book sold so well because it gave Americans the exact, simplistic portrait of Afghanistan that confirmed what they already believed.") I'm glad I never bothered to read this.

Siria Your mom is, as always, much more succinct than I could hope to be! She's exactly right.

(Pee ess, I'm working on that thing for you at the moment!)