Jackie "the Librarian"'s Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Feb 13, 09

bookshelves: awardwinners, youngadult
Read in February, 2009

This Printz Honor book is slyly humorous, and very subversive. Frankie goes to the same exclusive prep school her father attended, and she knows from his stories that it is part of the old boys' network. His connections have made him very successful in his career. And it all started with his membership in a secret society at school.
However, while the school now admits girls, the society does not. Which really torques Frankie, who is getting much more attention from the boys since she had a growth spurt over the summer. The problem is, it's not the kind of attention she craves. She doesn't want to be arm-candy, disposable, and yet that's the way the in-crowd sees her and every other pretty girl. Aaargh!
But Frankie won't be dismissed so easily. She will MAKE them see her, really see her. Because she knows things about the secret society that the current members no longer know, and she has the planning skills and the cunning to put them to work for her.
This book was all about who has the power, and why. I almost didn't like Frankie, whose obsession leads her to some poor choices, but I understood her motivation. Plus, I loved her imaginative schemes.
The dynamics grabbed me, as did Frankie's analysis of the in-crowd. I couldn't put this book down, and read it in one day. Not for everyone, but I LOVED it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.