Laura's Reviews > The Evolution of God

The Evolution of God by Robert Wright

Nov 30, 2012

liked it
Read from November 24 to 30, 2012

An ambitious and comprehensive work. He gets a little too caught up at times, as most biblical scholars tend to do, particularly around p. 157 where he claims that the hebrew word for 'moon' (yareah) actually refers to a 'moon god,' with the sole evidence that a canaanite god was named something similar (yarih). Not like close languages never even slightly overlapped, but whatever. Oh, and the best part...what's the evidence for this? Why can "yareah" only refer to a moon god, not the moon itself? Because "inanimate hunks of orbiting rock aren't the kinds of things you generally converse with" (157)! (He kind of reminds me of Glenn Beck; using humor and a 'lite reading' tone in order to cover up the fact that he just ran up 4 pages on a theory with no evidence!)

The annoying part is when he uses little "insider clues" like this to formulate entire theses.

I did like the fact that it was an easy and thorough read in which he actually allowed a few opinions other than his to show through...however, I was disappointed that (as usual with this subject) the JEDP/"Josiah re-wrote everything" theory was underlying the entire theory without it being mentioned save for in one footnote (even after having ironically mentioned that Wellhausen's theory has lost traction in recent years).

I mean, it's not the worst book I've ever read, and his biases don't show through as openly as do some other authors. Although his motive is noble (showing that violence isn't necessarily an inherent part of Abrahamic religion), he indulges a little too much in his own whimsies on the basis of his (scant?) hebrew knowledge for my own taste.

I have a friend who once said "An Old Testament scholar isn't the same as a Torah scholar." His theories may make perfect sense within his own circles, but remember their own biases and limitations. (For instance, while he was talking about asherah being "a part of the israelite pantheon being absorbed into ykvk" I had to wonder whether he knew or cared that asherah is also mentioned in the talmud, circa like 1000 years after the fact, and surely after all the "editing" he claims to have happened.

I liked the section on Christianity, though as a non-Christian I didn't really love the fact that he was basically implying that God really did "morally evolve" through the "Jesus movement," as he says. He seems to make quite a few stretches in order to make a Christianity founded via intra-group "love" into an "interethnic love" (and therefore, as his thesis claims, more morally advanced).

But like I said, he's extremely ambitious. I suspect that his ideal of "us all just looking at all religion as revealing a 'higher power' that morally evolves through the historical timeline of different religions" is going to be lost on all but the most diehard liberal of the adherents of the Abrahamic faiths.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of God.