Shawna's Reviews > Rough, Raw, and Ready

Rough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei James

Feb 04, 10

bookshelves: cowboy-stud-fever, erotic-romance-erotica-romantica, author-lorelei-james-lori-armstrong, menage-multiple-partners-polyamory, man-man-lovin-mm, contemporary-western-romance, favorite-romance-series, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, 2009-reads, bdsm-kink, best-top-favorites, favorites, hero-alpha‎, i-read-own-faves-keepers, heroine-i-adore, made-me-cry, yowza-hotness, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, series-rough-riders-wild-west-boys, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, hero-latin-lover-heartthrob, married-couples-married-convenience, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, smut-fix-smuttastic-fun, cheating-hearts-fidelity-issues, backdoor-action-lovin-playin, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, small-town-lovin, 5-stars-plus, hero-or-heroine-native-american, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, steam-5-scorching-x, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads
Recommended for: Fans of erotic romance, menage, and hunky cowboys
Read in August, 2009

5+ stars – Contemporary/Western Romance/Erotica/BDSM/Ménage

Ms. Lorelei James, I humbly kiss your cowgirl boots!

The Rough Riders is one of my very favorite erotic romance series and the books just keep getting impossibly better. I thought Cowgirl Up and Ride couldn’t be topped, but then Tied Up, Tied Down proved me wrong. I once again believed that the bar was set so high that it couldn’t be beat, but I should have known better because Rough, Raw and Ready IMO is the best yet.

Ever since Long Hard Ride introduced hot rodeo circuit cowboys and roping partners Trevor Glanzer and Edgard Mancuso, who were lovers in secret and ultimately driven apart, I’ve been anxiously awaiting their reunion story, and boy does it pack an emotional, erotic wallop.

“...Torn between the love he has...and the love he’s always wanted.”

Chassie and Trevor Glanzer are newly, happily married and working hard to try and make a go of her family’s neglected, struggling ranch. Even though they’re stressed financially and Chassie lives with the knowledge (and country gossip) of her husband’s wild sexual past and numerous ménage escapades from his former rodeo circuit days, their marriage is solid and she believes wholeheartedly in his love and devotion to her.

But when Trevor’s former best friend, rodeo roping partner, and secret lover, hot-as-sin Brazilian cowboy Edgard, shows up unexpectedly and is determined to win Trevor back—things get all kinds of shook up for the happily married couple, especially for Chassie who was completely in the dark about her husband’s man lovin’ days with Edgard.

Chassie thought she knew everything there was to know about Trevor’s past sexual exploits, yet she never anticipated that his long denied and deep-rooted love for another man would come between them. But she’s not giving up on her husband or their marriage without a fight, and she’s willing to use rather unconventional methods to save their love.

Unlike a lot of ménage tales that are about the characters wanting to dip their hands in the threesome cookie jar to sample something on the naughty, forbidden menu, this story is thought provoking and actually focuses on the emotion and motivation behind the character’s decisions and the consequences of their choices.

Chassie’s brother Dag, who died in a tragic alcohol related ranch accident, suffered from depression related to his closet homosexual lifestyle, and Chassie lives with the constant regret of wondering how things might have turned out differently had she confronted him about hiding his true sexuality. She knows Trevor loves her, but if he denies the part of himself that loves and longs for Edgard, can he ever be honest, truly happy, whole, and totally committed to her? And if Chassie can’t accept the part of Trevor that loves and needs Edgard, then does she really love him? Can Chassie, Trevor, and Edgard find a way to turn their friendship, passion, and love into a unified, lasting relationship that makes them all happy, and that can stand against the scrutiny, judgment, and intolerance of others?

I loved all three flawed, yet lovable characters in this story, and the emotional intensity and passion between them is palpable and realistic. Chassie and Trevor’s love is deep and heartfelt, and the multitude of unresolved feelings (desire, longing, anger, love, and regret) between Trevor and Edgard are believable and powerful. Even the friendship, respect, and ultimately love that develops between Chassie and Edgard is sweet and touching. Chassie is such a great heroine; she’s sweet, strong, caring, understanding, wise, and a real spitfire, and she manages to hold her own with two stubborn, hardheaded, alpha cowboys.

I love ménage stories, and the fact that this is a m/m/f ménage that features some habanero hot sex between two deliciously buff, yummy, studtastic cowboys made me feel totally Christmas morning giddy! Add a spirited, relatable, endearing heroine to the mix, and it’s just an all around delectable treat in my book!

It’s a scorching hawt and emotionally moving romance that tugs the heartstrings—and that will have you turning down the A/C and daydreaming about being the center of a hunktastic Trevgard cowboy yumgasm sandwich! I can’t wait for the next installment in this amazingly good, smokin’ hot series! Big 5 spurs (I mean stars)!

How about this beautiful hunk for Edgard?

[image error]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough, Raw, and Ready.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Shawna *fans self* sounds like a hawt book!

Rossy Awesome review, Shawna! This is my favorite book in the series too.

Auntee LOL! I guess with words like "studtastic", "hunktastic", "yumgasm" and Ms. Lorelei James, I humbly kiss your cowgirl boots--that means you really liked it!:D Great job, Shawna!

message 4: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Fantastic review Shawna.

message 5: by Shawna (last edited Nov 04, 2009 11:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks ladies!

I might have gone just a tad overboard with the flattering hot cowboy talk for this one, but I just couldn't help myself...LOL! :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Shawna!

message 7: by Auntee (last edited Nov 05, 2009 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Auntee Nah, Shawna, I think that's the feelings of most LJ fans!:)

message 8: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina "... daydreaming about being the center of a hunktastic Trevgard cowboy yumgasm sandwich!"

LOL, you're crazy, Shawna! Great review!

message 9: by MelissaB (last edited Nov 05, 2009 05:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Great review Shawna! This one is up next for me in this series but I have been a little afraid to read it because I don't want to see Chassie hurt when she first learns about Edgard. I have really enjoyed this series too, love me some hot cowboys!

Stephanie Love the review, once again you have me snickering at my desk with your Shawna-ism's!!

message 11: by Shawna (last edited Nov 05, 2009 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks gals! :) *hugs*

Auntee wrote: "Nah, Shawna, I think that's the feelings of most LJ fans!:)"

You're right Auntee, I've pretty much gushed over ever single LJ book so far!

Dina wrote: "P.S.: I can't help thinking of the movie Brokeback Mountain when I read reviews on this book. I cried so much when I watched that movie!"

Me too, Dina. That movie was a serious tearjerker.

Melissab wrote: "Great review Shawna! This one is up next for me in this series but I have been a little afraid to read it because I don't want to see Chassie hurt when she first learns about Edgard. I have really ..."

Don't let that keep you from reading it Melissa because Chassie is a total spitfire and holds her own with the two hardheaded cowboys, and that part of the story is really well done.

Stephanie wrote: "Love the review, once again you have me snickering at my desk with your Shawna-ism's!!"

LOL...I'm happy to provide some laughs! :)

Shawna BTW Dina, I was a little disappointed that sexy Brazilian Edgard didn't use more Portuguese phrases in this. I was hoping for some naughty bedroom talk or at least some fun cuss words, but he really only says meu amigo and meu amor several times. Such a pity! LOL! :)

message 13: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Yeah, I remember Auntee telling me that there weren't many Portuguese words in this book. I have to say, it's strange because I imagine Edgard, being a manly cowboy and all, should use a lot of cuss words - and we all cuss in our native language, don't we? ;)

Shawna Dina wrote: "Yeah, I remember Auntee telling me that there weren't many Portuguese words in this book. I have to say, it's strange because I imagine Edgard, being a manly cowboy and all, should use a lot of cuss words - and we all cuss in our native language, don't we? ;)"

Well, I know I sure do! lol! :)

jenjn79 Great review, Shawna!

I loved this book, too. I thought it was really well done from the emotional standpoint...and yeah, the sex was off the charts.

Shawna Thanks Isis! Off the charts hot indeed! :)

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Wow! Look how many shelves this one made it on! Is this some kind of new record? I'm totally intrigued!

Ms. Lorelei James, I humbly kiss your cowgirl boots ROTFL!!!

message 18: by Shawna (last edited Nov 05, 2009 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Tammy wrote: "Wow! Look how many shelves this one made it on! Is this some kind of new record? I'm totally intrigued!

Ms. Lorelei James, I humbly kiss your cowgirl boots ROTFL!!!"

LOL, I've noticed that the more I love a book, the more shelves that I tend to list it on. I think JR Ward's Covet, BDB series, or Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress books probably have my shelf record though.

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Can't blame you. Bones deserves a shelf all to himself!

Shawna He sure does, Tammy! I've got a 'marry-me-bones' shelf that's just for him! *dreamy sigh*

Ragus Great review, Shawna! Loved reading everyone of your Shawna-isms!!

Shawna Thanks Ragus!

Buggy Awesme review Shawna, This is on the list, The very long to-be-read list but you just moved it to the top Thanks!

Shawna Thanks J bug! :)

Crazy4more Great review Shawna, you hit it right on the nose. Finally got my hands on RR and this one is my all time favorite! Menage is a menage is a menage...but this really had opened my mind about looking at the relationship and not being judgmental. I loved when Edgard came to realization that he's falling for Chassie too. It's not about the gender, it's about the person you're falling for. I cried, I laughed...of course, I got hot too, but the chemistry, the emotion and the love & understanding they have for each other were boundless.

Love to get your recommendation on similar reads. This series got me doing 7-10 miles on my treadmill/elliptical. I need another series to distract me from the pain of working out.

Shawna Thanks Crazy4more!

Crazy4more wrote: "It's not about the gender, it's about the person you're falling for. I cried, I laughed...of course, I got hot too, but the chemistry, the emotion and the love & understanding they have for each other were boundless."

Beautifully said!

I'll see if I can think of other recs to send your way!

Crazy4more Thanks. I'm reading Tangled Threads and I swear it took me forever to get thru working out bc it wasn't distracting me enough. I need to be drawn, enthralled, engrossed so I can forget the time, the miles and the pain. I wanted to re-read this book already but forced myself not to bc I have so many books from the library to read.

Thanks for advance for future recommendation.

message 28: by Shawna (last edited May 13, 2011 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Laid Bare by Lauren Dane is another emotional erotic romance with an alternative M/M/F relationship that I loved. The entire Brown Siblings series is great.

Laid Bare (Brown Siblings, #1) by Lauren Dane Coming Undone (Brown Siblings, #2) by Lauren Dane Inside Out (Brown Siblings, #3) by Lauren Dane

message 29: by Crazy4more (last edited May 13, 2011 10:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Crazy4more Agreed, this is a great one too. I'm waiting for the latest one, Inside Out.

Have you read Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère  Children of the Moon, #1) by Sunny, Mona Lisa Craving (Monère  Children of the Moon, #5) by Sunny, Mona Lisa Blossoming (Monère  Children of the Moon, #3) by Sunny? this is so great and original storyline.

Shawna I've got several of Sunny's books, but I haven't read them yet.

Crazy4more I thought Sunny's better than Lauren's. Keep me posted what you think of it when the time comes. I'm waiting for the latest book coming out anytime now.

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus I am addicted to this series... Read a book a day but was a bit worried about this one... Until I read your review well done... you've convinced me! Here goes...

Shawna I hope you enjoy it, Kellie! It's definitely one of the best and most emotional books of the series.