Donalyn's Reviews > Bones of Faerie

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

Apr 26, 09

bookshelves: children-s-fantasy
Read in April, 2009

Since I am going through a dystopian science fiction phase, I eagerly purchased Bones of Faerie.

The faerie folk and humans collided in a global war, destroying much of civilization and making the world a dangerous place. Trees and plants have a taste for flesh, technology is gone and men must hunt and farm to survive, no one travels at night because the shadows will get you.

Fifteen year old Liza lives in a village where magic is outlawed. Any person who is found to have magic is killed instantly-- a directive Liza's father follows without remorse. When Liza's baby sister is born with faerie features, her father sets the baby on the hillside to die. Liza's mother disappears and Liza is left behind with her cruel father.

When Liza discovers that she can see into the past and the future, she runs away fearing her father's cold-blooded solution. Searching for her mother, Liza finds that magic can kill, but it can also save you.

I liked the premise for this book and enjoyed the unique spin on post-apocalyptic fantasy/sci-fi. I thought the book was too short to fully explore the characters and the world of Faerie. I think a meaty 400+ page tome with more than one conflict to resolve would have suited my tastes better. Still, I closed the book knowing of at least five children I could give the book to tomorrow who will love it. I look forward to reading more from Janni Lee Simner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones of Faerie.

04/24/2009 page 129
52.23% "What is the shadow that is following them? I cannot wait to find out..."