Sarah's Reviews > Main Street

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

1420391
Apr 06, 09

Read in April, 2009

Hmmm...I was rather excited about reading this book, but found it a real downer! I ended up not liking Carol at all, though I carried a hope to the very end that she'd make me like her. It didn't happen. One of the reviews at the end of the book used the word "joyless". I agree. It was about as joyful as writing on a cardboard box with a dull pencil. Even so, I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Main Street.

02/12/2009 page 12

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Sara floerke Oh, you're reading that right now? I picked it up at the used book store and thought about using it for our book club (I think somebody suggested that).

Please let me know whether you think we should do it or not!

Sara

Sarah Yes! I think we should read it for book club! I'm not very far into it, but it seems interesting. I've seen the high school play rendition of it.

Sara floerke I was up in the middle of the night reading Main Street....hoping that 1-Carol doesn't have an affair and
2- Truly beginning to like Carol more, but I'm only on page 170.

I am surprised at how well Sinclair Lewis can write from a woman's understanding

Sarah Sara wrote: "I was up in the middle of the night reading Main Street....hoping that 1-Carol doesn't have an affair and
2- Truly beginning to like Carol more, but I'm only on page 170.

I am surprised at how wel..."

Yes, there was a point that I started to like Carol too...the last 100 pages changed my mind. I also thought that Lewis did a good job of writing from a woman's perspective. Hmmm, did he have help? :)

Oh, and my comment about seeing the high school play rendition...I think it was Our Town, rather than Main Street. It's been too long.