Dan's Reviews > Embroideries

Feb 12, 2009

liked it
Recommended for: ladies
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

This book is a graphic novel that takes the form of several Iranian women (in Iran) sitting together discussing their sex lives. The book is the classic short stories as told by narrators in another story structure. The book provides an interesting look at how women feel about their lives, station in life, and sexuality in a repressive religious theocracy. The characters in the story are upper class women, so it is a look at how women in the educated and upper classes feel about this stuff. Not surprisingly it isn't terribly different than women in the west feel about this stuff.

This is a graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi author of the Persepolis graphic novels. I did not like this book as much as the Persepolis books. But that is to be expected, those are about war and intercultural interaction. This book is about women and their love lives. The art is great, and the writing is excellent. But I am just not that into reading about womens' sex lives.

I read this book because I read Persepolis 1 and Persepolis 2 and I thought that they were totally amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embroideries.