Rachel Kopel's Reviews > An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers

An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory

Feb 12, 09

Read in December, 2008

I am a great fan of Danny Gregory, but I was somewhat disappointed by this eagerly awaited book. While there are some really lovely examples, such as those of Jane LaFazio and Gay Kreger, and a few others, mostly women, I found that too many of the sketchbooks were simply ugly juvenile cartoons, mostly by men. I had the desire to use sticky notes and calculate how many were illustrations and how many these cartoons and how many by men and how many by women. And I decided I really didnt want to spend the time. It wont change the content of the book. I will go back and tag the ones I want to find easily again, but for now the book is on the shelf and not the coffee table.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Illustrated Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel Kopel Kayla, how exciting that someone on Vicky's list has actually read this book. Since I visit a lot of sketchbook sites on line, I think I am just more fond of those that are more illustrations and less cartoons. One favorite is Richard Bell http://www.wildyorkshire.co.uk Are there other illustrated books that you like?