Judith's Reviews > Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans

F_50x66
Feb 12, 09

Recommended for: everyone I know
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

I was incredibly fortunate to have gotten a galley print of this book. The scheduled release date is 2/17/09.

Nine Lives is a non-fiction book about nine different people in New Orleans, spanning 40+ years. The two major events that bracket this time frame are Hurricane Betsey and Hurricane Katrina. However, although these are important events in the book, they are not the entire focus of the book. The story chronicles these nine individuals from different parts of the city and different strata. Their lives sometimes intersect, but usually not in a way they are even aware of.

Dan Baum is a journalist who was sent to N.O. to cover the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. He did that, but was caught in the quirky spell that New Orleans weaves. He had to know more about the people, not just the crisis that brought him there.

Having grown up in New Orleans, I tend to be a harsh critic of restaurants and books that claim to portray the culture of New Orleans. This one succeeds. I can smell, taste, hear and see New Orleans through this book. The book may be non-fiction, but it reads like a novel.

I have had a hard time putting it down.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Lives.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Feb 13, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Dan Baum Thank you so much for your lovely review of Nine Lives. I really appreciate it. Those interested in reading more about it can go to www.danbaum.com. Again, my profound thanks. You were very kind.