Tahleen's Reviews > Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

Feb 22, 09

bookshelves: memoirs-and-biographies
Read in February, 2009

This is the kind of book that makes you feel guilty but also strangely hopeful at the same time. It is incredible what Paul Farmer has done (and is still doing!) and I love how Tracy Kidder writes. He was there for much of it, excluding Farmer's history, and he writes in a very personable style that I personally could relate to--he voices how I think I would probably feel if I were thrown into his situation. This book is not only about medical inequalities, though those do comprise a large portion of the book, but also about Farmer himself, his character, his flaws, and his great drive and hope to better the world. I only gave this four stars instead of five because of the guilt I felt reading it; I am not sure I'd like to get to know Paul Farmer in depth because of how awful he'd probably make me feel for not doing all I could to help those in poverty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mountains Beyond Mountains.

02/16/2009 page 122