Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Sailors of Stonehenge

Jan 19, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: history-non-fiction, first-reads
Read in January, 2013

** spoiler alert ** The conclusion of this book is very concise. It’s about the megalith monuments, their design, purpose and timeline and extrapolates from there to put forth a theory about the people that made them both in how advanced and widespread their culture was and ties it into the forerunner of Greek myth and even into being a possible source of the legend of Atlantis.

In full disclosure, I did receive this book from the author for review, which has not influenced said review. It was a very timely book for me in that I’m currently involved in a research project of my own into the megalith monuments of Wales. Though they are not in this book, they are inarguably from the same culture/time frame as the ones discussed in this book. The first half of the book was the most useful and interesting to me as it deals individually with sites such as Stonehenge, Carnac, Avebury and Newgrange (sort of the rock stars, no pun intended, of the megalith stone monuments).

The book delves into the why’s of taking on such a massive effort as it would have been to make these monuments/graves and hooking it in not only to what we think we know about their culture but also into astronomy and astrology. The second half of the book goes into that more deeply with detailed comparisons of these sites in the UK, North Africa and Europe to star maps, constellations, Greek myth and finally the myth of Atlantis. I’ll admit, that is not exactly what I’ve been seeing in the archeological journals but Vega does make a well-reasoned argument.

I am in complete agreement about how widespread this culture was (I’m still curious to know if the site in New England truly does belong to this culture or if it was later) and that these sites were of extreme importance culturally and religiously. I won’t say that I’m hundred percent convinced of the more astrology/Atlantean connection but as I said, it’s well argued. I loved how many pictures, maps and drawings that were used. It’s very well footnoted (though I would have liked a bibliography). As these sorts of texts often are, it’s not exactly light reading but if you have an interest in this subject matter, you might enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sailors of Stonehenge.

message 1: by Gill (new) - added it

Gill If you have not discovered it already I suggest you look at the Megalithic Portal online. They have a great catalogue of megalithic sites including those of Wales, where I also live, and from where the bluestones of Stonehenge originate.

Cornerofmadness Thanks. I have used that site last year when I was the Welsh fellow and sent to Wales to study the monuments. I'd never been there before but I'd love to go back.