Seth's Reviews > The Taste of Night

The Taste of Night by Vicki Pettersson

Aug 15, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: modernfantasy, sf-f-h
Recommended for: People who weren't turned off by the first book. Maybe people who didn't read the first.
Read in August, 2007

This is 100% better than the first in the series, making it about as good as the average first novel. The major plusses are some actual spine in the main character, a nice (if transparent) plot by the Bad Guys(TM), some deus ex machina that fits the comic genre very well, and an attempt to clean up some of the absolutely horrible holes in the world setup.

Our heroine, the superhero with no discernable special powers other than the body of a playmate (a real playmate--she was in the magazine about 6 months ago in the book's continuity), finally stands up to the "allies" who drugged her, gave her all-body plastic surgery, and tell her what to do and when she's allowed to leave the house. She still does what they say, but she sits on the porch without permission. Which turns out to be a problem.

She also makes some poor decisions to make some deals on her own, which works out to actually give us a plot and not a protagonist watching a plot.

The attempt to patch the world holes is nice. We get some backstory on the kids at the comic shop who seem to know everything and who write up what they do. We also get a brief explanation of why different cities' hero and villain teams don't cooperate (although it's inconsistent with some information we have about rogue agents).

The love story/ies is/are handled nicely, and no mediocre sex scenes to waste pages. The "kiss to transfer power" trope is continuing, and I find that intriguing.

Sadly, we perpetuate the seemingly-inconsistent cosmology regarding the Kairos (why Las vegas? Why is the supposed First Issue there? Just how *does* this fit into an actual *world* instead of a city?).

As a 4-color comic book themed story, we have to ask: how are the action set pieces? There is a chase/battle that starts in an orgy; the anticipation is well-handled and fun. there isa chase and battle at the start with a few good surprises. We get some maze chases and short fights that work pretty well.

I still want to see a heroine with some backbone (hint to the author: read the Kitty series of werewolf books to see a spineless character grow nicely and believably).

I give it 2.5 stars. It's a chicklet of a book; you'll read it in an evening. it's entertaining enough. Maybe read it before the first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taste of Night.

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review. You are so right. This book is way better than the first.