Otis Chandler's Reviews > How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else

How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill

Feb 12, 2009

bookshelves: business, nonfiction, self-improvement, memoir
Read in February, 2009

A truly heartwarming story of riches to rags - I tore through it on a NY-LA flight. Highly recommended for anyone who works and wonders if they shouldn't be paying more attention to their personal happiness. Some great business anecdotes throw in from the authors experience in a top-tier advertising firm in NYC. But mostly this is a story that makes you question the sanity of giving your whole life to a corporation that can easily discard you when you get older. Definitely highlights the importance of doing what you love - even if its working at a coffee shop!

The other interesting bit was the culture of Starbucks. Instead of giving each other orders, employees are taught to ask each other to "do me a favor". They are taught to be 100% positive in everything they do, and to constantly positively reinforce their coworkers. Coworkers are actually called Partners, and patrons are Guests. The language we use is so key to setting the right tone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Starbucks Saved My Life.