Heidi's Reviews > Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence

Am I Blue? by Marion Dane Bauer

Jun 23, 09

bookshelves: fiction-sexualities, fiction-short-stories, fiction-young-adult, from-library-whs
Read in June, 2009

Have I mentioned before that I love my employer library? High School library, in Regional/Rural Australia, with a fabulous collection of YA queerlit. Including this collection.

I don't think I outright disliked a single story. In the end my favourites were probably Gregory Maguire's "The Honorary Shepherds" (because it dealt with queerness and faith, as well as religious art and had a Quirky Narrator); Lois Lowry's "Holding", because of its difference; CS Adler's "Michael's Little Sister", for being beautiful, heartwarming *and* heartbreaking; and Christina Salat's "50% Chance of Lightning", because I indentified so closely with Robin.

What's bizarre there is that Jacqueline Woodson *isn't* in my top four! One of the things that is great about this collection is the number of other-than-white main characters. Woodson is the only author I know is not white, although I assume Salat is, too. But in terms of showing young people of all backgrounds (and cultures) dealing with issues of sexuality, the collection has certainly avoided being (to my clueless whitegirl mind) token, but has rather been inclusive. (If it was being put together today I have little doubt that there would have been Muslim main characters as well as Jewish, Christian and of-no-faith characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Am I Blue?.

06/16/2009 page 61
22.34% "Just finished a Woodson story and about to start a Maguire. Heartbreaking and wonderful."
06/23/2009 page 249
91.21% "Sadly, had to skip Yolen's story for trigger issues."
show 2 hidden updates…