Ana T.'s Reviews > Irish Magic

Irish Magic by Morgan Llywelyn

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: once-upon-a-time-iii, fantasy, read-in-2009, anthology
Read in April, 2009

Finally, my first review for the Once Upon a Time III Challenge. I’ve chosen this anthology because Gellis is one of my favourite authors and I’ve long wanted to read Morgan Llywelyn, who is perhaps better known for her historical fiction titles. I wasn’t equally impressed with the stories but as a whole, it was a pleasant read.

Galway Bay – Morgan Llywelyn

A contemporary story about an American looking for what’s missing in her life. She travels to Ireland and learns more about Irish folklore and traditions. She is particularly drawn to the story of the Ron, while in the bay someone is waiting for the right time to act. While I found it enjoyable I also thought that the story was very one sided. I would have liked to know a lot more about the Ron and Irish folklore. Grade: 3.5/5

The Harper’s Daughter – Barbara Samuel

This one was more in the style of a traditional romance with some fantasy elements. A beautiful woman, promised to a king, finds she loves another but fears her love will bring about an old prophecy of blood and violence. The star-crossed lovers will be helped by a powerful warrior woman in trying to avoid the blood bath. Grade: 3.5/5

The Trysting Hour – Susan Wiggs

Again another fantasy story. A powerful spell has separated two immortal lovers in the past. To save his beloved the hero turned into a mortal with the hope that one day they may meet again and she will remember him and her love. Unfortunately she is being promised to a king and can’t seem to remember who she was. While I liked the characters, I felt the ending was a bit too neatly wrapped up. Grade: 3.5/5

Rarer Than a White Crow – Roberta Gellis

My favourite story, with fleshed out characters and an interesting plot. Angus is put under a spell to look for a woman he will love for the rest of his days. Said woman has to fulfill a promise made by her mother to the same witch to have a daughter from a certain man. When Angus and Caer, the warrior woman, meet he is determined to woo and win her and she, after knowing him better, is determined to send him away because she believes the witch wants to harm him. Not only we are kept interested in Angus plan but Gellis even manages to end with hints to a sequel. I wonder if there is one. Grade: 5/5

Anthology grade: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irish Magic.