Dayna's Reviews > Bright Lights, Big City

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney

Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: on-loan
Read in February, 2009

Well, I have always kind of avoided reading this book. I thought I knew exactly what this was about - rich, white guys doing cocaine in 80s New York. I thought it was going to be totally predictable, but I was very wrong. I guess I didn't know what this book was really about - and I really liked it. I also typically dislike books that "try" to be funny, but the humor in this is kind of dark and inherent to the situations - it's not joky. I love the characters he works with at the magazine, the quirks and the weirdos, but still very normal. I love his confused interactions with women and how they are seemingly aliens to him - he just can't connect with anyone. I like that he is aware of this and still keeps trying. The idea of being brutally, utterly honest with someone on their deathbed feels just right, I can see how someone might need that. Frankly, I wanted to read more about this guy, I wanted to see if can sort things out in the future - definitely a good sign at the end of any book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Lights, Big City.