Sheri's Reviews > The Blood of Flowers

The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

Feb 12, 09

Read in February, 2009

I enjoyed this book, but I wish I could give it a half a star. I liked it because it is about a country and a history I don't know much about. Set in Iran, 17th century. It was great all the way up to the ending. Don't get me wrong, it was alright. I just wish it would have ended a different way. Maybe it is the American Female in me, wanting everything to end peachy and happy. I don't want to give anything away, but to me it was more abstract. Kind of a "you decide how you think it ends" ending. Sometimes I don't have the energy, and I want someone to give it to me straight. I did read it during nursing and late into the night trying to finish it though, so I was pretty tired. In contrast to what I said above about wanting things to be peachy, I think a lot of the book made you really attach yourself to the main character and her family because she just keeps getting shafted the whole book! Much of it is her fault, but it is still unfair. Then again, a lot of things for women in that time and country seem unfair. So I enjoyed how it wasn't all happy and perfect, because I think that makes for a much better story. I will probably read it again in about a year or so when I have more time to contemplate it. It did somehow leave me a little bit wanting, but I would definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood of Flowers.