Bookmom's Reviews > Ever After

Ever After by Kim Harrison

U_50x66
Nov 22, 12

There's plenty of action as Rachel Morgan once again faces a seemingly impossible situation against enemies from the past. In this case the Ever After is shrinking and the demons need to blame someone, and hope that by killing her, the problem will be solved. If the problem isn't fixed the Ever After will disappear and the demons destroyed. She's only given days to fix things. At the same time babies who are miraculously surviving Rosewood Syndrome are being kidnapped and it appears to be the work of a day-walking demon. So again, Rachel is the first person being blamed.

But this isn't just an action story; relationships are just as important in this series and we've got a lot going on there as well as both Ivy and Jenks have started moving on with their lives. They're still living in the church and work together, but Rachel realizes the dynamics are changing and they aren't as reliant on each other as they had been. And the author isn't pulling any punches. There's plenty of emotion in this story, including heartache, and through it we actually become closer to the people it affects. Trent and Rachel's relationship does move forward, but you really don't expect this to be easy, do you?

We learn more about the war between the elves and demons, and wow, who knew? The book, which appears to be shifting towards the conclusion of the series, gives up some truths which begin to make a difference on a number of fronts to different relationships.

It's really obvious how much Rachel has grown in this series. Her attitude, beliefs and the caution she now displays are all part of that growth, as are the changes we see in the other characters. It helps to keep the series interesting.

I only have one complaint about this book. While there isn't a cliffhanger, we don't really get to see how the magic community and especially the I.S. view what was accomplished. But, maybe we'll read about it in the next book.

Read as an ARC through Amazon Vine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever After.