All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Orleans

Mar 13, 13

bookshelves: earc, reviewed-by-chris
Read in March, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

ORLEANS took me far longer to finish than I thought it would. A lot longer. The reason why probably makes me sound like a horrible person (I’m not. I swear!), but it really, really made the book a struggle for me to get through. Before I get to that though let’s talk about the good stuff.

I love me some post-apocalyptic fiction and ORLEANS didn’t disappoint on that front. The world-building is great and the setting feels like something that could actually happen. Smith’s attention to the little details when describing the situations and places the characters find themselves in does a great job of making you feel like you’re there.

Or at least it should have, cause I’m sad to say the characterization was a bit lacking. The main character – Fen – came across as emotionless for a good part of the book. It also didn’t help (and this is what I was referring to at the opening of my review) that the patois Fen speaks with drove me nuts. I’ve been to New Orleans and I’ve heard people speak in a similar way to Fen. It’s awesome in person. On the page it’s just annoying. And since the book is also in first person you can’t get away from it when the chapter is told from Fen’s point of view. I am sad to admit that I almost gave up on this book a few chapters in because of it. I’m glad I didn’t, because the story itself is worth reading. The language issues with Fen and the Daniel chapters just feeling like they serve no real purpose have kept me from rating this book any higher.

Sexual Content:
N/A
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orleans.