Giselle's Reviews > Crash

Nov 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, own
Read from December 15 to 16, 2012

I'm weary of books sometimes, but more often than not I surprise myself by loving them. So this is why I still gave Crash a try knowing it's written by the same author who wrote one of my least favorite books of all time. It's unfortunate, but this is a sign that me and Ms McMann simply aren't meant to be. I have to learn to move on, regardless of the temptations that may come about.

Jules Jules Jules, you had such potential! You see visions! And there are body bags in your visions! I wanted to like this plot, and Jules, so much, but I just couldn't. The way she speaks, the obsession towards pizza boy, her superficial personality and lack of development, it all adds up quickly and unforgivably. Let's get a quick example shall we?

Yes, Jules, those are, in fact, signs of a creep. Like, don't kid yourself! This quote that we come upon early in the game was a very good sign that Jules and I wouldn't get along. Throughout most of the book, she's either dwelling on this old family grudge that keeps her and Sawyer apart *le sigh*, or she's complaining about her visions, on which she eventually acts for no other reason than her own selfishness. This leads to even more stalkerish behavior; for instance, hiding out in his parking lot and frantically running home when his mother sees her.

After all this creepy, you would think--or hope--that Sawyer would run screaming... *shakes head disappointedly*! Is Sawyer any more likeable than Jules? Maybe if he had enough personality to even be liked or disliked. He's the lesser of two evils, sure, but nothing more than a name on a page. As you can guess, this leads to a romance that is, at once, extremely predictable and plain. I couldn't have cared less if the vision came true. It would certainly have made it more exciting.

The only thing I liked in this novel was the family aspect. This is a family who lives, works, and breathes together. They're around each other every minute of every day, turning siblings into the best of friends. Again, we would have needed more character development for me to truly care about these people. In the end, they were more or less there for filler and plot conveniences.

Characters were clearly the fall of this book. This plot could have been extremely engaging if it had something to give it life. Instead, in addition to its predictability, it quickly became tiresome--the same vision over and over with no progression, suspense, or hint of tension. I did garner a trace of curiosity on how it would play out when she tells someone about them. Though this may be because I was hoping they would lock her in a cage and I could be done with this book.

Alas, this is where my disastrous relationship with McMann comes to an end. It was short lived with very little chemistry, but you know what they say: One woman's trash is another woman's treasure. Or something.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.

12/16/2012 page 31
12.0% "I swear this is a real quote: "I mean, I watch him, though. Like, all the time, but I'm not a creep or anything. And I eavesdrop." *sigh*" 8 comments
07/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Oh I hope you like this one. I've been dying to read it.

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie You taking about Wake? I really disliked that book too... real skeptical about whether or not to give this one a shot. Interested to see what you think of it now. ;)

Giselle Yep it was Wake *shudders*

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I never quite understood why everyone loved that one. I felt I was being AWFUL generous giving it 2 stars. Did you read the rest of that trilogy? I stopped at one and never looked back. lol

message 5: by Nazish (new)

Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads) I ended up reading the whole series even though I hated Wake as well. Because I just can't stop a series in between, plus it was only three books long and they were all short, the third was the best out of the three in my opinion and even that one was pretty bad too. They were so bad that I didn't even feel like writing reviews for those.
The only series I ever stopped reading are: House of Night, I stopped after book 6, I was generous enough to even read book 6, most of it felt like filler to me. The other is the Immortals series by Alyson Noel, I stopped after book 1, I was going to read the next one hoping that it would be better, but after reading some of the reviews, I decided not to read the rest of the series.

Giselle God no! Reading the first was painful enough.

message 7: by Serena (new)

Serena Like, really? Like, that's like totally terrible!

♥Rachel♥ Oh no! I was really looking forward to this. What was it that you didn't like, Giselle. I liked the first book of the Wake series but the two after, not nearly as much. It should've been left at one book, IMO. I loved Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann, though.

Giselle There were a lot of things that annoyed me. My full review should be up soon. The MC was just like, so, like, annoying. *barf*

♥Rachel♥ Giselle wrote: "There were a lot of things that annoyed me. My full review should be up soon. The MC was just like, so, like, annoying. *barf*"

I'll come back when you have it posted then, Giselle.

message 11: by Anagha (new) - added it

Anagha I'm not surprised. This sounds like a dud from the description. I did not like the Wake series (painfully got through all three), but I did very much enjoy The Unwanteds and am looking forward to that sequel.
Probably won't be giving this a try though. Entertaining and informative review! :)

Giselle Anagha: Wow you got through all 3 Wake books? Wake is one of the worst books I've ever read >.< I haven't read any of her others though but I oubt I will after 2 fails.

message 13: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav Wow I really hated the wake series so I guess this one would be the same! I really love ur blog tho! Like yr reviews r really funny

Giselle Thanks Natalia! I hated Wake, too, I never read the others but Wake remains one of my most hated books ever O_O

message 15: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav Oh my god i thought the series would get better but by the last book, it was horrible!

message 16: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada) oh dear..I'm hesitant to start it now..

Giselle Giselle wrote: "oh dear..I'm hesitant to start it now.."

message 18: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav Giselle wrote: "Giselle wrote: "oh dear..I'm hesitant to start it now.."

If you were a fan of her other work you might like it. I'm just not clicking with this author at all."

Honestly.. I've heard that wake was fantastic... But to me it felt like she was trying to be nasty and perverted to appeal to a younger audience.. I was basically like eww half the book

Giselle @Natalia: I hated Wake, and I know a lot of people who did as well. I think it's a very hate or love kind of read. It was terrible in my opinion. One of my most hated books of all time O_O

Addie R. I wish I read your review before I bought this book. =__=
I had really high hopes for it, and it sucks that it didn't live up to your expectations. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

message 21: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav Lol that's soo true! I've heard her unwanted series is good. Is it?

Giselle @Natalia: I've never read it. And I doubt I'll give this author another try. My friend really liked her Cryer's Cross one though.

@Addie: Hopefully you'll like it more than I did. A lot of people did so maybe there was something wrong with my book! >.<

message 23: by Kara (new)

Kara You've got to give it to the girl though - she does have perfectly sculpted eyebrows.

Giselle Yes, yes she does! Too bad here eyeball's on fire. That must hurt.

message 25: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav Giselle wrote: "Yes, yes she does! Too bad here eyeball's on fire. That must hurt."

They r prob contacts(: helps with the creep factor

message 26: by Lisa (Fic Talk) (new)

Lisa (Fic Talk) That quote alone has turned me off of this book. I can't stand it when people speak like that IRL, much less when they write like that.