Elizabeth S's Reviews > The Willoughbys

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry

Apr 06, 2011

bookshelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
Read from April 05 to 06, 2011

It helps if you know this is a parody. Even knowing that, some of the beginning events were almost disturbing. For example, dumping a baby on your neighbor's doorstep because the baby is not cute enough. (I'm probably a little extra sensitive to that one, since I have a baby at the moment.) But overall, the book just makes you laugh. I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed, almost all the books mocked by the Willoughbys, and in many ways that increased the fun.

I love the nanny. I love how she and the children work together so well. I think it is priceless how they all hide from the realtor. There are a lot of places in the book where you can kinda see what is coming next, and that makes it all the more fun when it comes. Or when the rug is pulled out from under you and it doesn't come. (I hope that makes sense.) Even knowing ahead of time that this is a parody, I still didn't expect to laugh out loud as often as I did. Great book.

PS I also enjoyed the author's illustrations. Certainly not great art, but it did add to the story and fit with the theme of parody.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Willoughbys.