jill's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

F_50x66
Feb 12, 09

bookshelves: memoir, feminist
Recommended to jill by: Lani
Read in February, 2009

Lani lent me this one, and I lent her Jacobs' other book, The Know-it-all. Both are about Jacobs' taking a huge book most of us would never bother to read all the way through and parsing the meaning of the parts that interest him most. Both have a bit of a scatter-shot feel to them; the sections that really interest me never feel fully explored, and the sections that don't interest me are frequent. Some of the segments did really make me think, and I noted a lot of things in the notebook I had with me; I think the appeal of such a scattered book is that it gives you the opportunity to think in depth about the parts you care about and skim over the rest. They're really more memoirs of a couple of experiments this guy has made than studies of the books themselves, and I tend to like Jacobs' voice. I'm not sure I'd bother to re-read either of the ones I've read, but if he writes another, I'd pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.