Lesley Fletcher's Reviews > Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking

Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, ... by Vivian Kirkfield

Nov 22, 12

Read in November, 2012

I received a copy of Vivian Kirkfield's book via a give-away promotion with the idea in mind that I would donate it to a Mental Health organisation I am associated with to use in conjunction with children's support groups. The children of parents who suffer with mental illness are often at odds with their self-esteem given home situations. This will be a very welcome inclusion to their library.

When I got the book I was totally unprepared for the sheer size of it along with valuable content. There is not one page of 'fluff'. It is well indexed and referenced which is a great plus.

Teachers, parents and care givers would be wise to buy just this one book and put the rest of the clutter away!

For the purpose of this review, as I did not read the whole book, I opened it to a random page (84-85). There is a suggestion for reading (The Ugly Duckling) with author, illustrator, translator and publisher listed along with a detailed synopsis of the book. There is a 'Positive Parental Participation Note' which explains the impact of celebrating a child's special-ness.
On the following page is a suggested craft for an Origami Bird which needs only paper, scissors and a marker. And finally a Child Friendly English Muffin Bread recipe.

The above describes the format of the rest of the book. Flipping open the book will provide give a days worth of fine gems to share with and interact and enjoy with young children.

I remain amazed at the value of the content of this book and can whole heartedly recommend it!

Great job Vivian, I wish you much success.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking.

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Kirkfield Lesley...what a lovely review! I am so pleased that you feel the book will be of great value to parents, teachers...or anyone who is working with young children and their families.

I've added a PayPal button on my website for Canadian residents...and of course, the book is also on Amazon. I hope people who are searching for just the right gift for a child will forget about the craziness of shopping malls and the glut of electronic gadgets...young kids only want the simplest of presents: a picture book, some art supplies and a parent's positive participation.

And, as you so beautifully described, that is just what Show Me How! is all about.
Vivian Kirkfield
Author of Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking