Jennifer Morrill's Reviews > The Miserable Mill

The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket

Feb 23, 2009

liked it
Read in February, 2009

This book was not as good as the first 3. We were listening to the audio version and Daniel Handler aka Lemony Snicket is the voice again. ~sigh~ His voice on "Sir" and "Shirley/Count Olaf" were like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I could have swore it said Tim Curry took back over reading books 4 and beyond. We are listening to The Austere Academy now and it is still not my beloved Tim Curry.

That didn't tell you much about the book. The Baudelaire's are sent this time to live with a relative who has a name so long it is unpronouncable and therefore everyone calls him Sir. Sir and his partner Charles, run the Lucky Smells Lumber Mill. While the childen think they will merely be living at the mill, a deary enough prospect, Sir actually puts them to work!

Klaus ends up hypotized as part of Count Olaf's, this time posng as a receptionist named Shirley, evil plan to get the children and their fortune.

Of course misfortune falls upon them as it always does, and Count Olaf makes a sneaky escape. Leaving it open for him to come after them again in the next book.

While it's predictable for me as an adult, my daughter's absolutely love trying to figure out how Count Olaf will weasel his way in at every story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miserable Mill.