Barbara's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

191052
Jun 08, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, fiction, women-s-nest, favorites, dogs
Recommended for: lovers of racing, lovers of dogs, lover of life
Read from May 29 to June 08, 2010, read count: 1

I know I am years behind, but can I jump on the bandwagon now? The Art of Racing in the Rain has been on my To Read list since it was published. What took me so long? Why didn't everyone tell me about this wonderful book? What a great way to express the heartfelt experiences of the human race: with the metaphor of auto racing, and the narrator a dog! The always patient, unconditionally loving dog who comforts and brings joy to the family members is actually a zen budhist who sees all and understands so much more than we could believe. Enzo, the dog, is also a huge racing fan and is devoted to his racing master. He is there for him during the highpoints of his life, and then during the lowest of lows - losing his wife and in danger of losing custody of his daughter. Enzo in print fiercely defends his master and gives his heart to his family members. But, he also weighs philosophically on the human condition, and connects us to life through his love of racing. I can't say enough about this book. It now goes on my favorites list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Reese Having me as a Goodreads friend "means never having to say,'I'm in last place.'" However many years behind you are, I'm further behind. Had I not read your review, I might never have known that THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN belongs on my read-to-catch-up list.

Barbara I hope you enjoy it Reese!

Doreen Hi barb! I just started reading it this morning and am on page 186! What a wonderful narrative. I'm waaaay beyond the rest of the world too. What took me so long to pick up this book???