apple's Reviews > The Fire

1993452
Feb 19, 09

bookshelves: suspense-thriller
Read in February, 2009

Giving "The Fire" only one star might not be fair, but I just can't help it, having waited like FOREVER (and even sounding like a Twilight Fangirl here) for a sequel of the ingenious "The Eight".

Since the predecessor was SO very very good it robs me of any more creative adjectives, I had such a high expectation of "The Fire".
But it didn't really deliver... What's with the lead character going on and on about...food, and not to mention total lack of chemistry whatsoever between Alexandra and her beau. Just compare that to the scene when Cat first met Solarin *sign* and hopefully you'll understand my reason for the one lonely star there.

This book is supposed to be a two-tiers story...So where's the other "tier"? In "The Eight", the story in the past (so-called the other tier) is even more mesmerizing than the present-day part.

I've already blogged about how Katherine Neville out-Dan Brown before Dan Brown was even Dan Brown, but in "The Fire" there is not even a single element of mystique that made "The Eight" so ahead of its time.

All in all, I don't want to be all whiney about how good "The Eight" was like I would whine about how I miss the 80's (and I DO miss the 80's) but taking "The Fire" as a stand-alone and not as a sequel...well, I still wouldn't recommend it. Now, let me crawl quietly into the corner with my battered copy of "The Eight" and cry..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire.

02/11/2009 page 2
0.44% "Solarin...I'm still in love with you!"
02/12/2009 page 60
13.3% "Worth the wait"
02/14/2009 page 170
37.69% "pick up the pace!"
02/15/2009 page 347