Lisa Johnson's Reviews > A Lone Star Christmas

Author: William W. Johnstone
Pages: 336
Year: 2011
Publisher: Pinnacle
Since I was a little girl, westerns have been the one genre I knew I could best use to identify who I was. Whether it was watching westerns on TV, a movie, reading non-fiction as well as fiction, I always wanted to know more about the West with a passion. Recently, with my sons having become men, I joined the NRA, took a class, and bought my first firearm. I am also a member of SASS. Even though I don’t attend anything, I learn a lot from this group. I knew a few western writers growing up though because of my Nana I knew more about Louis L’Amour and his books. Growing up and watching my parents get her the latest novel or seeing her read those books are memories I will always remember. When Nana died, I was blessed with her entire collection of westerns that included a few Luke Short books and some others. It wasn’t until earlier this year that I came across the name of William W. Johnstone. You can go to his website to learn more about the author, books, and book club. (http://www.williamjohnstone.net/index...)
Every author of any genre has a unique way of telling a story. The western genre encompasses a whole lot of territory. What I like best in this author’s writings is the depth of the story and the painstaking time taken to place details in a scene. There is some cussing in the novels, but no sexual content whatsoever. There is romance though as well as gunfights. Deeper still is the portrayal of the cowboy’s code of being willing to place his life on the line for another, taking care of matters of law and justice, or even seeing to family matters. Yet, even what I have listed fails to encompass the western genre. I can only say the novels are worth the time to read.
A Lone Star Christmas was released in 2011, and this year A Rocky Mountain Christmas has been released. In the near future, I will be reading and reviewing this work of fiction as well. I have no doubt that it will be as excellent as its predecessor.
There is so much enjoyment in the pages of this novel. It would be hard to put words on paper to adequately describe everything, so here is a very short summary. Remember there are a few cuss words interspersed in the story. Rebecca is the daughter of a wealthy rancher in Texas. She doesn’t know her birth mother. Who was she? With love on the line and questions to be answered, Becca leaves the ranch without anyone’s knowledge. Tom is running from a memory he never wants to rehash in his heart or mind. Leaving his former life behind, he sets out on a train for the west, ending up in Texas. His knowledge and experience as a cowboy become apparent very quickly, but there is no turning back now.

Ranch hands’ lifestyles, forged friendships, and a cattle drive through the winter are just a few of the happenings that take place. With a make or break deal to try a different breed of cattle, Big Ben sends his team of seven people to meet the train and drive the 2,500 head of cattle home through sandstorms, a blizzard, attempted murder, and cattle rustling. Will the cattle make it to their new home? On top of that, Big Ben wants everyone home for Christmas. Maria just wants her baby safely delivered at the ranch. Exactly what does occur on the cattle drive, before the drive, and months later that changes the lives of the characters? Interested in reading this yet? I sure hope so. You will be missing a great adventure if you pass up this novel!
My rating is 5+ stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspo... . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lone Star Christmas.