Carrie's Reviews > Ten Cents a Dance

Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher

Mar 13, 09

bookshelves: z-2009, favorites, historical-fiction, mothers-and-daughters, doorway-setting, sisters, booktalked, recs-y-fiction, y-fiction
Read in February, 2009

After her mother loses her job, sixteen year old Ruby drops out of school to work at the slaughterhouse. Even then, it’s not enough money to keep up with food and the rent on their cramped apartment in the Chicago Yards. When she’s told she can make $50 a week teaching men how to dance, she jumps at the opportunity, only to discover that taxi dancing is not exactly what she thought it would be.

This is richly detailed historical fiction. Fletcher incorporates the slang and fashion of the time in a way that’s interesting and readable. Even with the detail and the length of the book (almost 400 pages) it was compulsively readable. I stayed up later than I should have more than one night to see what would happen next.

I would recommend this to fans of urban lit looking for historical fiction. There are a lot of similarities – a poor girl from a bad neighborhood who gets a chance to move up in the world, drama with a thug boyfriend and the pressure to be “sweet” to him, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Cents a Dance.

02/23/2009 page 258
72.47% "I'm going on five hours sleep today because I couldn't stop reading this last night."