Benjamin Haag's Reviews > Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

Dec 18, 13

bookshelves: have-read
Recommended for: Anyone
Read in March, 2006

I confess that, when I first found this book on the shelf of a small and now-defunct used bookstore, my motivation was it's being one of those books that "everyone," or at least numerous people, read and recommended with that certain degree of enthusiasm and gravitas that spoke deeply to my peer-pressure-obeying 21-year-old self. I also confess that it took about three passes through it to connect it to my life in any meaningful way, due not to the author but to said life and its dearth of experiences. Of course, the same could be said for damn near all of college, but I digress.

A teacher once said that reading certain books at repeated intervals in one's life -- he had been speaking of _The Catcher in the Rye_, actually, and said interval was five years -- was important. I have found more to enjoy about _Zen..._ with each read.

Is "read" actually a noun? Title of this website notwithstanding?
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.