Thomas Rydder's Reviews > The Last Sunset

The Last Sunset by Bob Atkinson

Nov 21, 12

Read in November, 2012

First of all, let me declare that I received a free copy of "The Last Sunset" in return for a fair, honest review.

That being said, I found this book to be unique. It involves time travel, which is a very difficult issue to work out properly in a story - and Mr. Atkinson does so in ingenious fashion. Add in the fact that it's time travel put upon folks from several different time periods, and thrown into a war zone from mid-18th century Scotland, and you have yourself a read.

What I found most compelling about the whole thing was how the characters from each era - including those from old Scotland - were depicted in such detail, and with complete accuracy. Their mannerisms and customs were spot on, and it didn't take me long to realize that the author was either from Scotland, or he had done exhaustive research into the lifestyle of the region during the book's time setting - including the local dialect, I might add.

There are two things that really drive how I grade a book: how it brings forth emotion, and how it moves. And this one scored high in both. There were folks in it I hated, those I loved, and some I respected. There were none for which I felt indifference - and that was key. And it had no dead areas in it. The story line was always building, shifting, and best of all, getting more complicated - and doing so smoothly.

This is a real page turner. Now, I'm not one to use the whole "couldn't put it down" phrase - I can put any book down. But I can tell you when I did set this one on the table, I was looking forward to coming back.
And I don't give 5 stars to any book. Period. But this one earns 4.5, and with a clear conscious. And it's also one of the few books I own that I'll read a second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Sunset.